Monday, October 17, 2011

Our Big Apple Adventure

Our summer wrapped up with the girls spending time with grandparents while Jerry and I headed up to Michigan to take part in a short-term mission, helping to put on a Vacation Bible School at a small church there.  We were part of a team of twelve, and the first step of our journey was the roughly 1000 mile drive to Hastings, Michigan.
Our Team
We stayed at a small campground in a hotel-style building with a big common room where we could meet and eat breakfast. Once we settled in a bit we went to see the church where we would be working.
Community Baptist Church
Our first day there we helped with a block party - to create interest for our VBS. My assigned task was face painting. My designs were super simple, but the kids seemed to like it.



That afternoon we explored the town's center.


It is quite a pretty little town. They still have Kip's Big Boy's up there, and I suggested going there for lunch, and the group agreed.
 
I have such fond memories of eating there with my Aunt Jane when I was a little girl, but it never occured to me that I had only ever had a hamburger or grilled cheese off the kids menu. I really didn't even know what they served!

Sunday we attended church at Community Baptist, and they had a potluck afterwards where each member of our team stood up and gave their testimony. I was a wreck. I'm not sure why giving my testimony affects me the way it does - I don't get nervous speaking in front of groups in general, but this is different. Every time I do it, even in front of groups of people I know, I just about have a panic attack. That day was no different. By the end of the meal I was a shambles. I wondered why I thought I could be on this team, because I was certainly nothing special! But that's the point isn't it? God can take anything, or anyone, and use them. I'm special in His eyes, and he wants my availability.

The rest of the week was a blur. In the mornings we did survey work in the neighborhood (one of the most uncomfortable experiences of my life!) and then we did our VBS in the evening. After a somewhat paltry turnout at the block party, our group got bigger and bigger each night. We reached over 65 kids in all. It will be a real growing opportunity for CBC to pastor those kids - they are a small church with an older congregation - but they are committed to making a difference for their community.

When we got home, I made a video from everyone's pictures to share with our congregation.  I've paid for a license for the song behind it so I can share it with you.  Enjoy!

Music: Big Apple Adventure Theme Song
©Lifeway Christian Resources of the Southern Baptist Convention
Used by Permission

No comments: