Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Slow Start

Well, here we are, a week into the new year, and I have accomplished. . . nothing. Well, that's not exactly true, I have managed to get strep - which explains why not much else has gotten done.

Maggie had strep before Christmas, and when we got back, Jerry dutifully got us back on track by coming down with it. I thought I had dodged the germ, but Sunday night, it struck, and Monday evening I went to the after-hours clinic (since my doctor couldn't work me in until Wednesday) and got my antibiotics. These have cured my sore throat, but have made me sick to my stomach. I've never had problems with this antibiotic before, but these are such a high dosage - and they are horse pills! I have to split them to be able to get them down. Hopefully it will get better like the leaflet suggests it might. On top of that, my little ride in the tractor's front loader bruised the back of my knees, and they are still sore! Anyway, I didn't sleep much last night and I'm grouchy! It's tough getting old!

Actually, we did get a bit done this last weekend. We hit the malls to do some returns, and we went to see the Tale of Desperaux at the theater. At least, Jerry and Gracie got to see it. Maggie ate more than her fair share of one of the big bags of Reese's Pieces during the previews, and consequently, her tummy did a tango during the movie - we missed about 30 minutes of it because we were sitting on a bench in the hallway waiting for the icky feeling to go away. What I can tell you about the movie is that, like the book, it is about a mouse named Desperaux. As far as I could tell, the similarity ends there. We had listened to the book on tape while we were driving for Christmas, and it's not the same at all. I can't say whether that's a good or bad thing since I missed such a significant part, but it is definitely not the same.

We also did some returns at my favorite store, Walmart, and they got me in a snit again because we needed to return something that we had bought online, and had only the order history form to return it with. Although the website said that would be sufficient, the store would not honor it, giving us only a partial refund. To their credit, this time when I contacted the website, they did apologize, issue the remaining refund, and promised to contact the store about the whole matter. This time, principles win out!

We also hit the white sales and got linens for the guest bedroom, so we are mostly ready for company! I say mostly, because when we went to put the new linens on we found that the furniture company had put the daybed together incorrectly. When we took it apart and did it correctly, we found that they most likely did it on purpose, because now that it is together correctly we can't slide the trundle under it without damaging the mattress due to the support rails. We are going to have to get some little blocks or something to raise the bed a couple of inches so we can fit the trundle under it. (Sigh. Principles, strike one!) That, and we still don't have anywhere for people to sit. . . Hopefully the sofa will be here soon. That'll be the next big thing - can't wait to see it!

Oh - and true to our tradition, we made Chicken and Dumplings and Black-Eyed-Peas for New Year's Day dinner. Now that the girls like Chicken and Dumplings, there are not as many leftovers, and Jerry has competition to see who can eat the most. Maggie was determined though, so they decided to arm-wrestle for one of the leftover servings. . .

and Maggie wins!

No comments: