Thursday, January 29, 2009

Slip-Sliding Away. . .

Another no-school day, another blog entry! Aren't you lucky!

The school district posted that there would be no school today late last night. From the kitchen, Jerry heard me at the computer going, "Noooooooo!!!!" The roads here are pretty clear, so there was some hope that there would be school, but the roads in the neighborhoods themselves are still hard-packed with snow, so they cancelled school. It's not that I mind having my beautiful girls to myself for another day, but I keep rescheduling my doctor appointment each time school is cancelled. I think I'll keep today's though. Hopefully by then the roads will be much better, and a neighbor offered to watch the girls, so I'm going to take her up on it. Originally it was to re-evaluate me after all the original tests came back normal, but now I'm trying to get a sinus infection, so who knows what will happen.

The girl's reaction to no school today was the exact opposite of mine: "YESSSssss!!!" with a fist-pumping gesture. I told them, "Well, that clinches it. You won't get out of school until the 28th of May!" When they asked me why, and I told them that for each day they missed because of snow, they added one more day at the end of school, Gracie responded with her one-size fits all answer, "That's not FAIR!" It's just the right answer (for her) for everything these days.

In the meantime, we got outside today with some of our neighbors and had some fun. We didn't have an official snow disk, so we tried out cardboard boxes, Rubbermaid tub lids, and laundry baskets. When our neighbors came out, they had all their mom's cookie sheets (with her blessing) and those worked pretty well. They also had an old-fashioned sled that had belonged to their granddad. We stayed out for a couple of hours and had good fun.

Here's the girls and I:

Sliding down the neighbor's driveway:

And having fun with our friends - they made a snow princess!

No comments: