Sunday, August 21, 2011

We've Got a New Demographic in the House

August is a big birthday month in our family. Last week we went to Texas to see my grandmother and take her to lunch in honor of her 86th birthday.



We had a nice visit, and then headed to my Mom's to spend the night. The next morning we headed to their church - the small town Baptist church where Mom and Mike got married and have recently become members. When they asked visitors to raise their hands, we obliged, and we were given a visitor card to fill out - one for the entire family. As we got ready to drop it into the plate, Jerry glanced at it and started laughing at me. I had checked the age demographic boxes for fourth grade, sixth grade, ages 35-39, and ages 40-44 - one box for each member of the family. Jerry was laughing, since my 40th birthday was six days away, yet I did not include myself in the 40-44 demographic.

Well, I'm in a new demographic now, and I must say, it feels just fine. It actually feels a lot like 39 did a couple of days ago. Although I do admit to looking in the mirror in the mornings at my laugh lines and wonder just when the heck those happened. (Can't say that it bothers me that they're there. I put in a lot of good laughs to get those, by golly!) So, here's my 40th birthday documentary photos:





I had a good birthday. Jerry made his wonderful, marvelous breakfast taquitos (AND cleaned the kitchen!) Next we watched Harry Potter 6, since the girls had finished the book this week. We took a traditional birthday nap, and then I helped Maggie mix up some cake batter so she could make me a easy-bake cake while I turned the rest of the batter into cupcakes. We topped off the day with dinner at Johnny Carino's and ice cream at Coldstone Creamery - just the perfect way to end a decade and start a new one.



The only thing was that after all that food, I couldn't eat the cake! That was okay, it meant that I got to drag my birthday out until lunch the next day. That cake was super special - Maggie put a lot of effort into it! It was three layers:



With chocolate icing:



And sprinkles!



And it was delicious!



Thanks to my lovely family for my wonderful birthday!

No comments: