Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tuition Trip

Once my summer school started I did my usual weeks worth of waffling about whether to drop the course (like a normal, rational, sane person would have done when presented with my calendar of events). Of course, the drop date came and went, and it was time to pay the tuition bill.

The girls and I made a day of it, driving down to Norman and using the free Sam Noble Museum passes that the girls had received when they signed up for the local library’s reading program. They had a scavenger hunt for the kids that day that led us through a temporary exhibit of wildlife artwork that was just beautiful. They had to find the number of elephants in the exhibit and things like that. Eventually we made it to the discovery room, which is hands-on and one of the girls favorite things to do. I spied Gracie digging for fossils and quickly snapped a picture:



Just because I knew I had taken the same picture in 2007, when Gracie chose to visit this museum for her birthday. Here’s that picture:



Hard to believe it’s been four years since we moved here. Another couple of years and we’ll set a new record!

Next we had to stop by the mammoth statue and stage our photo of being squashed. The girls were really into it this time, with Maggie, as usual, taking the award for dramatic performance in the role of girl squashed by mammoth:




After our museum visit we headed to the student union where we had to visit three different food kiosks for everyone to be satisfactorily fed. The girls love food courts. They think it’s great that we can all get what we want without having to argue about where to go. Next we headed to the Bursar’s office, where I paid the equivalent of a small country’s GNP for the privilege of having a completely stressed out summer. We walked around a bit after that, checking out the fountains, statues, and squirrels, all of which are found in abundance on the OU campus. Here’s Gracie petting a sheep statue outside the library:



So, for a day that I had to shell out a lot of money, it wasn’t all bad. I had a great time with the girls, which was something that was to be in short supply for the next seven weeks or so. And I love spending time with my girls!

No comments: