Friday, March 20, 2009

Inner Beauty

Last night, as I was putting the girls to bed, I sat down to talk with Gracie. She was looking off towards her desk, and a picture that one of her friends in New Mexico, Annalise, had drawn and given her with her birthday present one year.

She asked me, "Why did she make her hair red and mine blue?"

"I don't know. Hers was a lot lighter blonde than yours was. She maybe only had red and blue and wanted to make them different." I replied.

"Do you think maybe she thought her hair was prettier than mine?" She questioned.

I mulled this over and was still thinking of a reply when she said, "Hair is pretty on the outside, but what counts is what's on the inside, like in your heart."

"Yes, that is true." I said.

"And your bones." She continued, patting her arms. I smiled and started to speak, but then here came her toes from under the bedspread, "And toes. I have pretty toes."

"You have beautiful toes," I smiled, "But I think it also is important to be nice and kind too."

"Yeah," she replied thoughtfully.

"Good night sweet girl! I love you." Inside and out...

No comments: