Monday, August 4, 2008

Tempting Fate

Well, the girls are in Texas, learning all sorts of life lessons with my Dad and Terri and their goats. They called this morning to let me know some of the baby goats were sick, and one of them had died. I was surprised at how calmly Maggie told me all of this, since she is so tender-hearted that she would usually cry if an inchworm got stepped on.

I was afraid that we might have to cancel this trip after Gracie got a stomach bug and I spent the wee hours of Saturday morning cleaning sheets. It was my own fault though - notice in the last post what I said I was grateful for? I should know by now never, never, never to utter any words like those, much less write them down! By Sunday morning though, everyone was eager to get on the road, so off they went. Now I just have to remember what to do with myself when their not here - it's been awhile. It's good practice for when school starts!

By the way, we did tell Gracie the other night that she would be going to first grade again next year. We approached it as something we had discussed with her teachers and principal (which we had) and we all thought that since she was one of the youngest and smallest in the class, she needed a little bit more practice at reading and holding her pencil correctly (a real challenge for her) before she went to the second grade. We then held our breath and waited to see what she would say.

"Great!" She exclaimed with a smile, "Who's my teacher going to be?"

So everyone can breathe a big collective sigh of relief. She doesn't seem to mind at all. . . yet.

No comments: