Sunday, January 16, 2011

Upward and Onward

I can't believe winter break is almost over. Somehow, it slipped by me without one single project getting done. I know I stayed busy. I know things got done, it's just that the things that I had put on a very short list of what I wanted to accomplish this break didn't happen. I had, of course, hoped to get some scrapbooking done - and I did, in a manner of speaking. Gracie had asked for, and received, a scrapbook kit for Christmas, and Maggie had earned one through a Girl Scout incentive program, so the three of us sat down and scrapbooked together, which was great - I was just so busy enjoying my girls that my productivity plummeted. I only got a few pages done.

One thing that did happen during the first week of January was our final Upwards practices before our first games. Gracie's squad learned five cheers total before their first game:



And Maggie's team continued to have drills and such:



The big day of the first games arrived. Unfortunately, so did a stomach bug, at 5:00 AM. Gracie was not able to take part in their first official game. She and I stayed at home while Jerry took Maggie up and cheered her on for her first game. Here she's making a basket during pre-game warm-ups:



And here she is in the thick of it!



Gracie had to wait a week for her first game, but that meant she got to learn three more cheers at that week's practice, so they had more variety. Here's a warm-up cheer in the practice room:



And here's her squad in action at the actual game.



So now it's onward to the next semester of school. My classes don't start until Tuesday, and I was looking forward to my last two days of vacation, but one of my professors sent out her syllabus via e-mail yesterday. She let us know that she had opened the online portion of the course already, so we should review the online content and have any questions prepared, as well as the first chapter of the book read, for our first class on Tuesday. I'm thinking, "HELLO! It's still VACATION Here!!!" But I guess it's not. It's time to get back into the school mentality.

So, nose to the grindstone and all that. We'll see if having two classes instead of three leaves me any time for blogging this semester. It promises to be a busy one, with mini society, living history museum, land run reenactment and so forth, not to mention more cheer and basketball. I would say I could hardly wait. . . but I think that if it came down to it, I could. Maybe for just one more week. Please?

No?

Well okay then. Onward -- and Upward! ☺

No comments: