Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Munchkin Mania

This has been the week of Munchkin Mania around here. See, Maggie's class is doing their annual program this week. They have selected The Wizard of Oz as their program. Maggie's class will be playing the part of the Munchkins. We got a letter home several weeks ago saying that she would need a costume, and to be creative, and get ideas from the movie. Now, I haven't seen the movie in a long, long time, and it's not exactly a title that you can run down to the Redbox and expect to find. Still, I'm thinking something cute, colorful, and not too involved. How hard can it be?

Fast forward to last weekend, when we go to Houston to see Aunt Amy and family, and Maggie gets a copy of The Wizard of Oz for her birthday. We all gather round the TV, Amy puts in the disc, and we begin the journey to Oz. When the munchkins come out of hiding, all the male munchkins are wearing cute, colorful, simple outfits. But look at what the girl munchkins are wearing:
They are all dressed in elaborate dresses with poufy sleeves, peplums and aprons. A feeling of mild panic overtakes me as I look for anyone dressed in sweats with polka-dots. A little help here!?! It's okay - I still have a week, right?

Except I had a birthday party to plan and execute. And a sinus infection. And the laundry piled sky high.

So, it's Tuesday morning, the day we are supposed to have the costume to the school, and I have nothing. Not even an idea.

I got home from BSF and re-read the note. In addition to looking at the movie, they suggested googling munchkin costumes. I did. There are three, not counting anything that had the word "sexy" in the title, thank you very much. But this one gave me hope:

So at 12:30 I headed out - Goodwill, Old Navy, Hancock Fabrics and Hobby Lobby, here I come.

Back home by 2:30. I start out with this:

And my trusty friends - My 1970's (or earlier, not really sure, it's a hand-me-down from my grandma) era Viking sewing machine:

And my handy-dandy glue gun:
Using the classic "lay something on the felt and cut around it" method I create a skirt:
And embellishments for a shirt:

And three hours later, we have this:

Whew.

Can you tell I love my babies?

1 comment:

terrilou said...

Suzy,
Awesome as usual. You simply amaze me. Great job.
Terri