Monday, September 8, 2008

One thing at a time!

Goodness, somehow the last few weeks have gotten away from me. I keep intending to update my blog - and I've know the title of this post for quite some time, because it is my current mantra.

When I look at my to do list and feel overwhelmed, I think - one thing at a time.

When I look at the crap all over the counters and any other horizontal surface and think of what to pick up first - Just Pick SOMETHING!!! ANYTHING!!! One thing WILL make a difference - maybe not MUCH of one, but it will be SOMEthing. Just do one thing at a time.

Anyway, slowly, things are getting done. The big question is, can I get them done faster than the rest of the family can get them back un-done?

Well, as we start our third full week of school (I can hardly believe how fast it's zipping by!) things are beginning to settle into a routine. This week starts BSF, and next week starts scouts, so after that we should settle into our school rhythm nicely.

Let's see - since our last post we've been having lots of fun. Our Sunday School department had an ice-cream cookoff, and as a testament that miracles do still happen, I won the grand prize for my vanilla ice cream, despite running out of vanilla, rennet and ice, and also grabbing the low-fat milk instead of the whole milk that I had bought especially to make this ice cream. Just think of how great it would have been if I actually had done it correctly!!!!

Labor Day weekend we headed down to Weatherford / Granbury for a birthday reception honoring my grandmother, Amy Sr., who turned ninety on Labor Day. Here she is with her brother, my Great Uncle Bub. . .
And admiring her newest great-grandchild, Carissa: We had the opportunity to see lots of family members, and stayed with Dad and Terri along with Amy, Brad, Will and Carissa. The girls had a lot more fun playing with Will when they had a lot of room to run, and Will had so much fun that when it was time for us to go, he said, "No go. You got to stay here!" Here's him and Gracie having fun in the bath. I think Amy may have a future as a bubble-hair-do beautician!


Here's some fun family pics: These photos are of my cousins Randy and Chris. The first one was taken 7/4/1987, the second one 8/31/2008.



The next two photos are of the group of cousins that we spent a week with every summer and winter during "Cousins Week" hosted by my Aunt Jane. You can try to match them up if you like. There's an extra girl in the older photo - if anyone knows who she is, let me know (with the long hair, in between Collin and Carrie.) It was odd to see all of our kids running around with each other at the reception. Is anyone brave enough to hold a new generation of Cousin's weekend? It's a much broader spectrum of ages than when we were little, so I'm sure it would be a unique challenge.





Before we left the Metroplex for Oklahoma (later than I wanted thanks to a detour Gracie made through the edge of the stock pond, necessitating a wait on a load of laundry!) we visited a furniture store and decided on some furniture for Gracie. I had set a goal to have our house completely put together by the end of September, but that may be too optimistic, as the first day they could deliver the furniture is November 22nd. Oh well! I'm going to try to do my part by the end of September!

This week has been relatively uneventful. We did have a minor fiasco when some construction workers cut an electric line near us, resulting in a 3-hour power outage on the evening that we were supposed have a dinner guest. Chili's, here we come! Then we had a cool front thanks to hurricane Gustav - the high on September 4 was only 68 degrees. Much cooler than we are used to for the end of summer!

I guess that's about it for now. Next weekend will be my mommy time at the scrapbook convention, and Jerry will have the girls for the whole weekend. I can hardly wait to hear all about it!

No comments: