Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sticking To My Principles (or "How To Get an Ulcer in One Easy Step")

I would say that I am usually a pretty easy-going person. Now, whether close friends and family would agree with that assessment, I couldn't say. Perhaps not. Every once in awhile though, something really gets my goose, and my easy-going nature goes right out the window.

One Christmas, there was a particular store that I felt had not acted honorably towards me as a customer, and I was ready to take back all the gifts I had bought from that store up to that point because I felt that they didn't deserve my patronage. As I was ranting about the situation to my sister (It's the PRINCIPLE of the thing!) she calmly said to me, "Your principles are going to give you an ulcer."

Hmmm. So now, whenever I get miffed I think of Amy and try to make a judgement call about whether the issue is worth getting an ulcer over. Usually, it's not.

Today I got good and mad. It's been building since last month, when I ordered additional prints of the girl's spring school portraits. We have lots of family that we give photos to, and they all have the specific sizes that they prefer. In the fall you can select a package that meets your needs, but in the spring they just print a package and you can either take it or leave it. Our problem is that the package isn't quite big enough. I went online and ordered one additional 8x10 and two 5x7's of each girl. That's what was on the "review order" screen before I paid, but when the order confirmation screen came up after I placed the order, it had one 8x10 and two 5x7's of Gracie, but four 5x7's of Maggie. I immediately hit the "contact us to modify or cancel your order" link, but they did not respond to that message or the subsequent e-mail I sent until after the order shipped. This begs the question - Why have that link if you can't actually modify or cancel the order? Whatever. I kept my cool, and when the order arrived, I followed the instructions, sent back the extra 5x7's of Maggie, and in due time received a replacement 8x10 - of Gracie!

The same day it arrived it was back on its way to the photographer with a note explaining that I had actually wanted an 8x10 of the same child that was in the photos that I had returned, complete with the original job number, child id number, and the re-order number. I described what she was wearing in the photo. I did not insult anyone's intelligence, and thanked them for their attention to the matter. Surely, I thought, I would get a picture of the correct dimensions and subject. I know I dream big sometimes, but this seemed reasonable.

Well, today I received a reply via e-mail. It said that, "while we would like to be of assistance, regrettably, we are unable to make changes to orders." As easy-going as I like to think I am, this pushed me right over the edge. I have already paid to return incorrect orders twice, and now they are just going to refund my money and have me reorder it on their buggy website? I think not! I immediately fired back an e-mail. "Regrettably, that answer is unacceptable."

"Regrettably? Regrettably? Oh, you just think you regret. You just wait until I get ahold of you!" is what was going through my mind. The main problem was getting ahold of anyone - no phone numbers anywhere on the website. I got the local representative's number from the school, who gave me the national 1-800 number for sales, who gave me the number for customer service, who transferred me and my righteous anger to someone in the lower-grade section. I told the young lady there what had transpired, and she reordered my 8x10 at no charge to me before I even had a chance to get warmed up.

Strangely, I feel a little deprived.

Guess I'm not as easy-going as I like to think!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Oooooh, your site is so pretty! It is very scrap-book-y.

This story is like doing business here. Anywhere.

"Oh, that shirt I sold you was not actually washable?...[smile]... want another one? Special price!"

It's like this everywhere now. You are angry? Displeased with our service? Didn't get what you wanted? Please visit our wall where you can bang your head, all day long, free of charge.