Friday, August 22, 2008

And They're Off!


After much anticipation, the school year has officially started. (Yea!!!!) Maggie was so excited about the first day of school that when her alarm went off at 7:00 and we went in to get her up, she was getting ready, saying, "I woke up at 6:18!" The girls got ready in record time, and then were so insistent that we go to the bus stop that we did - almost 15 minutes early. Eventually other kids did show up - there's at least 10 that get on at this stop - the only one for our subdivision.

When the girls came home Maggie declared her first day "Great!" and Gracie said it was "Good, except for the girl that hit me in the face on the bus." Not sure what happened there - although it seemed to be an accident, so I'm not too worried. Maggie had homework from the first day, but Gracie doesn't yet. She seemed disappointed at first, but when I suggested she could do a page in her math packet from the summer, she decided she was happy to not do homework.

As for what I did on the first day of school - well, Jerry had taken off to be with me, so he helped me by making the girls lunches. Maggie asked for a turkey sandwich for the first time ever in her lunch, and when she got home she declared it the "best sandwich ever!" so now Jerry has been instructed to make a turkey sandwich every day for her before he leaves for work. It's tough being the best! We all went together to the bus stop, then Jerry and I went to the school to make sure that everyone found where they were supposed to go. After that, he and I went to Whataburger for breakfast, and then came home and took the traditional first-day-of-school nap and just piddled around the house doing this and that. Once the girls got home we did homework and headed off to Wednesday night church for the kids. Jerry and I dropped them off and went to Quizno's for a sandwich. Then it was time for baths and bedtime. And so my birthday day passed, uneventful and relaxing.

Our den is empty. I sold all the furniture on Craigslist on Monday, and the last item was picked up yesterday. We've been looking at furniture, but haven't really been happy with what we've found. Now though, as we sit on the floor watching TV, I think it's time to get serious about finding something. Now I feel motivated to action.

Well, things have dried out around town, so today is errand day. I also have to make homemade ice cream for a churn-off with our Sunday School Department tomorrow. I'm going to make Aunt Ellogene's famous ice cream - hopefully I won't scramble the eggs! I'm also going to make a backup quart of orange sherbet just in case. Wish me luck!

No comments: